Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Unit 1 Reading

Chapter 1 from, Information Design Workbook arose some very interesting information I have not covered yet. Some things that really interested me was how information design is incorporated in the courtroom. Litigation graphics is something I have never even heard of before. This type of design requires a graphic artist that fully understands how to communicate images effectively while telling a story in only a few seconds. In litigation communication, Airan Wright (a designer and consultant at Zagnoli McEvoy Foley LLC) explains the importance of presenting each point clearly. "Choosing the right medium makes a big difference," (Baer 27).  Not only is presenting information clearly important in court, way finding systems, websites, application forms, user guidelines, and many more require a keen sense to usability. I want to explore this further and find some examples of good vs. bad information design.

I found an article that shows a few more examples, but here are the two that really stuck out to me:

BAD 

Good!
I am pretty sure we can all understand why the first image is a bad one. When I looked at it the first time I couldn't figure out what to examine first. My eyes went around the page like a border, scanning information but nothing really interested me. A typical user would look at the first image and most likely pass it by without giving it any notice.
The second is an awesome example that really drives a person to read through the entire thing. The color choices make the obvious connection to the United States that will attract almost any American's attention. Even will the abundance of information, this infographic is very easy and even fun to read. The dynamic way the illustrations move you throughout the page is almost like a maze. You almost forget you are reading a bias of information.

More examples of good vs. bad can be found here!

Now, let's go back to what we were first discussing: Litigation design. I really want to add some examples of these because I think they are so fascinating, and definitely something I would have never expected as a job of a graphic designer. 

Here is a website where you can observe a Litigation Graphics portfolio

After looking more into Litigation Graphics, I definitely know this is not the direction I see myself going! But, still very interesting to explore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment